Saturday, April 14, 2007

McCall 4007 top and pants

Reviewed by:Ann Smith
photo
Friend of PR
About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
CA USA
Member since: 8/24/02
Reviews written: 154
Sewing skills:Advanced
Favored by: 185 people
patterns reviewed: 151
Bio: I love to sew for fashion, especially unusual designs. I own way too many patterns and fabric! I hav...full profile
Posted on:5/17/03 3:59 AM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:Recommended, but with modifications

This pattern features a sleeveless wrap top with an Asian flair and pull-on pants. The pattern also includes a long sleeve version and a dress length version. It is a Palmer-Pletch classic fit pattern with sizing; BB(8-10-12-14), DD(12-14-16-18, FF(16-18-20-22). I made it out of a medium weight linen.

The pattern includes extensive instructions for fitting for both the top and the pants. I tissue fit the top, added the full bust alteration which I need and it seemed that it would fit correctly. But once made up in the fabric it was huge. I'm not sure why the tissue fitting didn't reveal this. I was able to make it fit by taking in the side seams a lot. The pattern photo shows it fitting closely. To achieve the same look I ended up with 2 sizes smaller than I usually wear.

If you observe carefully, you will notice that the cross-over is reversed on my garment. This occurred because the directions for the band are very poor, particularly in describing attaching the ties to it. By following the sketch, I was able to figure it out but that resulted in the short tie end being attached to the wrong side. When I discovered this I considered ripping it out to make the correction, but it had been trimmed already and was fussy. I then realized that by leaving it the reversed way, I could lap left over right and bring the tie around on the inside to tie on the right. The pattern shows the long part of the tie going around the outside of the back, then tying on the left. I decided I preferred not having the tie on the outside anyway.

I didn't make the pants in the pattern but used Loes Hinse Cruise pant instead because I've made that before and knew it fit. The width around the pant leg hem is the same but the McCalls pattern had a much deeper crotch curve and more fullness around the upper leg than the LH pattern.

I like the style of this outfit and, now that I have figured out the problems, will make it again. It is quick to sew and will be very wearable in my hot summer climate. I find it difficult to come up with outfits with style that are also casual enough to wear to many summer activities. I think this will fill that need well.

No comments: