Saturday, April 14, 2007

Indygo Junction Never the Same Twice Jacket

Reviewed by:Ann Smith
photo
Friend of PR
About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
CA USA
Member since: 8/24/02
Reviews written: 154
Sewing skills:Advanced
Favored by: 185 people
patterns reviewed: 151
Bio: I love to sew for fashion, especially unusual designs. I own way too many patterns and fabric! I hav...full profile
Posted on:6/23/03 4:28 AM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:I would definitely sew this pattern again

I have been seeing attractive garden smocks and jackets at crafts and garden shows. Often these are made of vintage fabric, bark cloth or home dec fabrics. They are usually pricey so I decided I could make one myself.



I bought this pattern at a craft and sewing show. I think it may be sold at quilting shops. I used two home dec fabrics to make the reversible jacket. Several different variations are suggested on the pattern which is why it is titled "Never the Same Twice Jacket". The pattern line is called Indygo Junction, the designer Anna Claire Originals.



The construction is quite simple with only 2 places that might be tricky for a beginner. There is an inside corner pivot on the collar that is pretty well explained. The reverse side (or lining) is sewn just like the outer jacket, then stitched all around the edge, leaving a small opening to pull the right side out. Then you reach through to pull the sleeves out to sew the sleeve edge. This is a bagged lining technique that is confusing to read. Not hard to do, just puzzling if you have never done it (or haven't done it in a while like me).



Because the jacket is very loose fitting I didn't bother with any of my usual alterations. The pattern doesn't give any guide lines for sizing measurements. It has S, M, L and XL included but doesn't suggest body measurements for the sizes. I just did a flat measurement of the pattern and decided the small would be plenty big for me. Although it is fairly boxy, there is a really nice line to the bottom edge. Also the collar is quite attractive.



I'm very happy with my jacket and although I probably will never wear it gardening, I will wear it to garden club meetings and garden shows.

No comments: