Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Vogue 8088 Marcy Tilton silk organza jacket

7/20/05 3:48 PM
Last Updated:7/20/05 3:50 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:I would definitely sew this pattern again

Pattern Description: Vogue describes this as a very loose fitting vest or jacket with a shaped hem and no closures.

Pattern Sizing: Sizes XY (S-M-L) or XZ (XL-XXL). I made the small with no alterations for size except for sleeve length. Lots of ease so no need for the usual FBA.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes except that mine stands away from the body more. I choose the same fabric (silk organza) that is pictured in the vest. Of course they don't show the back view which is where it stands away the most.

Were the instructions easy to follow? No problems with the instructions. Good mitering description and nice finish (French seams) for sheer fabric. I used a lovely embroidered silk organza from EmmaOneSock.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I wanted something that was slightly unusual but simple to show off my sheer fabric.
Fabric Used:

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I eliminated the contrast cuff on the sleeve but kept the slit. I reshaped the end of the sleeve to curve downward at the outer edge to echo the bottom hem shape.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I think this is a great design. I don't even mind it standing out in the back since it is sheer and my outfit underneath is close fitting. In wool crepe, another suggestion fabric, it should drape nicely. I made this for a wedding in September but now that it is done I think it is too somber. I may make this again in brighter colors.


Conclusion Nice, simple but arty shape with lots of potential for embellishment. The garments underneath are a Kwik Sew top (the famous 2759) and a pull-on skirt with elastic added to created the ruching. I reviewed these in 2003.

No comments: