Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Vogue 8000 Sandra Betzina vest silk brocade

6/6/06 2:26 PM
Last Updated:6/6/06 8:57 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:I Highly recommend this pattern

I saw Sandra Betzina wearing this vest at a sewing expo. It was red brocade trimmed with black ruching and looked wonderful. I commented on it and asked if she had ruched the collar. No, she said, the fabric came pre-ruched and she just happened to have one piece left she could sell me for $10. I jumped on it and came home to create this same vest as well as her other pattern 7885 that I recently reviewed. Since I used the black ruched fabric with the same grey/silver brocade on the jacket I decided I needed to do a few things to make this garment look different. Thus, the red piping and embroidery on the back.

Pattern Description: Vogue describes this a very loose fitting vest with flat-fell seams. View A has asymmetrical closing, contrast collar, sides and ties. View B has self fabric ties and edges meet at center front.

Pattern Sizing: The usual Today's Fit sizing. I used size B which calls for measurements 4 inches smaller at the bust and 2 inches smaller at the hips than mine. It fits fine without any alterations. I used up all the ease designed to make it "very loose fitting" to make it "semi-fitted".

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes except for my design changes, see below.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very easy to follow and very thorough. They suggest interfacing the entire garment and describe how and when to do this. I wasn't sure my fabric needed this but decided it was a good way to cover the back side of the embroidery so I did it. I think it does cut down on wrinkling.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Nothing I didn't like. It is somewhat boxier than I usually like to wear but I think it works well with these fabrics.

Fabric Used: Silk brocade.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I added piping in the seam between collar and front pieces. I hand made frogs to use as closures (from the piping) instead of the ties.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I definitely recommend this.

Conclusion I'm very thrilled with how this came out. I think it is a striking garment, a little different from other Asian type tops available. Also, with the side panels, slenderizing.

No comments: