Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Vogue 7885 Sandra Betzina jacket silk brocade


5/8/06 3:05 AM
Last Updated:5/8/06 5:17 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:I Highly recommend this pattern

Pattern Description: This pattern is a winner! I think this jacket with its unusual but simple collar and unusual but simple cuffs has a lot of pizzaz. It fits well, is comfortable to wear and easy to sew. What more can we ask? Vogue's description says it is a semi-fitted, hip-length top with collar, asymmetrical closing with tie ends or frog closures, optional pockets and three-quarter length or long dolman sleeves with cuffs. View A has contrast and optional trim. There are also loose-fitting, tapered, pull-on pants included in the pattern. I made view A except that I left off the strip of trim on the collar and used frogs instead of ties.

Pattern Sizing: Today's Fit sizing. I made size B which is 4 inches less than me at the bust, about the same at the waist and 1 1/2 less at the hip. I added extra just in case at the side seam allowances but did not do my usual FBA as it looked to have the necessary ease.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes pretty much. Here is the back

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very complete and easy to follow instructions. Sandra gives lots of extra tips including sizing alterations and construction techniques to give a polished finish.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Love the Asian styling.

Fabric Used: Black and silver silk brocade for the main fabric. The contrast is a pre-ruched black fabric that I bought from Sandra Betzina herself. I saw her at a sewing expo recently wearing another pattern (Vogue 8000) which used this pre-ruched fabric. I admired it and she said she just happened to have a piece there she could sell me. I brought it home and searched my stash. I found this silk brocade that has been aging awhile. There was way more yardage than I needed for Vogue 8000 so I decided to cut out this pattern also. So what happened, I made this one first.

I used beaded Victorian frogs that I have had for some time. So happy to have a good use for them.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I thought I might need extra around the bust but ended up not using any. Although I didn't do my usual FBA I did drop the bust dart one inch as per usual. The only size alteration was to fold on the petite line for the length of the garment. I eliminated the interior ties altogether as it seems to hang together fine.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I would definitely make this again. Even though it is quite distinctive I think it will look different enough with different fabric and ties. It is quite easy to make and slenderizing I think.

Conclusion I'm very pleased with the way this jacket/top turned out as you can tell. I have made Today's Fit patterns before in this same size but they were loose fitting styles. I wasn't sure this would work out but since it did I'm eager to sew up some more of Sandra's patterns.

Edited to add: Just so there is no confusion. I did not make the pants I am wearing so they are not the pants included in the pattern.

No comments: