Saturday, April 14, 2007

Vogue 2604 Geoffrey Beene

Reviewed by:Ann Smith
Friend of PR
About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Member since: 8/24/02
Reviews written: 154
Sewing skills:Advanced
Favored by: 185 people
patterns reviewed: 151
Bio: I love to sew for fashion, especially unusual designs. I own way too many patterns and fabric! I hav...full profile
Posted on:10/25/02 10:07 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:I would definitely sew this pattern again

I picked this pattern because I have enjoyed trying Geoffrey Beene patterns in the past. They always have some interesting unusual construction details. This one uses zippers decoratively which seems very current. One thing you can't tell from the pattern picture, my photo (which is way too dark to see much), the line drawing on the pattern or the description, is that the front of the sleeve stands away from the back. It is not stitched down. I wish I had known this before I carefully stitched it to the back. It is designed to stand away, starting about one third up the sleeve, increasing in depth to about 1 1/2 inches at the neck. It is very easy to do. You just need to be aware. I guess that is why we all need rippers...

The fabric I used was strange to me. You can't tell that from the photo either. This was an internet purchase that was only sort of as described. It was labeled as an "olive stretch twill". Well, it was that but what was a surprise to me was that the stretch was lengthwise instead of the usual crosswise. Also the twill was more like a cordoroy. So it is a sideways stretch cordoroy. I was puzzled as what to do with this. This pattern is designed to be cut-out with the pieces sideways. I guess this is because the front pattern piece which has sleeves cut on, is too wide for any fabric. So I decided this was a fated match of pattern and fabric as the sideways stretch begged to have pieces cut sideways so that the stretch would go around the body. I was dubious from the start as I didn't know how the fabric would react. It worked out quite well, except for some stretching out on the seam around the top-stitched hem of the top. I fixed this by adding clear elastic to the hem. I hemmed the skirt by hand so this didn't happen there.

I cut my usual size and added the extra at the bustline that I usually do. However I cut that off as I didn't need it. The top has plenty of ease, plus there is all that stretch in my strange fabric. The skirt is simple to construct with a contoured, faced waistline that fits quite well.

No comments: