Wednesday, April 25, 2007

McCall 4261 Mat Bag

Posted on:4/30/07 8:36 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:Easy to sew


Pattern Description: This pattern includes a lot of separate pieces for your exercise classes. Pants, skirt, tee top, bra top, zip hoodie, and a bag for your mat. That is the piece I made.

I lost the strap to my mat about 3 years ago and have intended to make a bag ever since. Once I finally got to it it only took about an hour to create. Fabric is a nice quality Asian theme cotton. The strap is webbing from JoAnn's.

Pattern Sizing: I measured my mat to be sure the bag was long enough and it was exactly right.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes except I added a pocket.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very easy to follow and easy to sew.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I really liked that it was just the right size for my mat. I am puzzled about the pocket they have included. I cut it out without much thought but fortunately before I sewed it on I reflected a bit on what I needed a pocket for. They show the pocket with a magazine in it. Why do you need to carry a magazine to your yoga/pilates class? A towel maybe but the pocket isn't big enough for a towel. It is too deep for the things I need a pocket for: keys, membership card, sunglasses. So I added a little pocket on top of the big pocket just the right size for my membership card. Now I'm happy. No more mat unrolling in the car all the time.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? This took about an hour so I would be happy to make one for a friend who needed one.

Conclusion This is the kind of thing that gets admiration from people when you carry it. They think it is so cool and are amazed that you made it. Most have no clue as to how quick and easy it is to create.

1 comment:

dawn said...

If that guy does downward facing dog, he's going to get tangled up in his beard!