Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Simplicity 4047 1950's Wardrobe, rayon blouse


11/20/06 7:03 PM
Last Updated:11/20/06 7:41 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo: Simplicity Pattern Information

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:I Highly recommend this pattern

Pattern Description: This review is for the blouse from the 1950's Retro wardrobe from Simplicity. The pattern also includes a swing jacket (reviewed earlier), capris and a straight skirt in two lengths. The blouse has a side zipper, peplum, tucks at the neckline and cut on sleeves. A sash is included as an option to be worn with the blouse.

Pattern Sizing: Large range of sizes in one pattern. Mine included size 6 through size 14, nice since I combine sizes. It is available up to size 22.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, except my sleeves curve outward at the edge. Don't know why. I tried it with the edge folded in a little cuff (in the main photo) which would be nice if it would stay put.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very good instructions. The blouse is not as easy as the jacket with the invisible side zipper and fitting issues but the instructions are complete with good sketches.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the different, slightly retro look, the fitted shaping and peplum. The sash is fun for a change. I don't like whatever happened to make the sleeves curl.

Fabric Used: I used a multi-design rayon from Citron. The garment is not pieced. The different design areas are part of the fabric. This fabric caused me much trouble. First in cutting out, getting the design layout to make sense was time consuming. Then the pieces didn't line up quite the way I planned and I had to fiddle with the fabric a lot to get it to work, particularly at center front. You can see that the black at the neckline is not symmetric. It was way worse than that before I started fiddling. I basically made one side slightly smaller than the other to get the two sides to work together at all. To disguise that slight problem I can wear a pin. Then, because it was a wobbly rayon, kinda crinkled, it was a bear to get a straight hem. After finishing I realized I should have used fusible tape in the hem as I do often on knits. That would have helped immensely.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: No design changes except for the effect caused by the fabric design itself. I made a 10 at the shoulders and 14 at the sides.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I would make it again, in a easier fabric. The white with black pin stripe capris on the pattern envelope looks like a good idea.

Conclusion Fun, relatively easy to sew, pattern with lots included in one envelope.

No comments: