Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Simplicity 3954 Nursery Accessories

4/11/07 2:30 PM
Last Updated:4/11/07 3:42 PM
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:Easy to sew

Pattern Description: This pattern is a collection of items for the baby's nursery by designer Patty Reed. It includes a crib dust ruffle, wall hanging, bumper pad, sheet, quilt, crib caddy, glider and ottoman cushions and window shade. I made the dust ruffle and crib caddy. I also improvised stars based on the fabric design. These are to be put on the wall behind the crib. I made valances for 4 windows without a pattern and a changing table cover (using McCall's 4897).

I made these for my new grandbaby's nursery. She will be arriving soon. The fabrics were chosen by my DIL to go in a room they painted apple green. It was hard for me to try to decorate a room I haven't been in. I hope this all works out. My DIL just sent me some photos of the room. Here you can see the valances and crib caddy tied to the changing table.

Pattern Sizing: It is useful to use these patterns for sizing for the crib and changing table cover when you don't have these items in front of you to measure.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes except I pieced with several fabrics.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes very easy. The pocket hanger or crib caddy was particularly fun to make. The dust ruffle was a pain because of the length of the pieces that I decided to make with 3 fabrics. Lots of stitching and gathering, but easy. I zigzagged over string to pull up the gathering instead of the suggested machine stitched 2 rows. That always breaks when you have a long stretch of gathering.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Here's the major thing that I want to mention for anyone thinking of using this pattern. I think this is a big error. If you follow the cutting layout with a similar one way design fabric, the design will be sideways. Even with my stripes I couldn't cut it the way they have it laid out or the stripes would run around instead of up and down. I think they did this because if you cut the usual way you will have to piece the dust ruffle. 45 inch fabric is not wide enough to cut each section of the ruffle. This true of the bumper pad also. So be wary. You will need to reevaluate the amount of yardage you need.

Fabric Used: Quilting cottons.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: The crib caddy has velcro used to hold the straps. I changed this to ties.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Just be careful with the cutting layouts.

Conclusion I was going to make the bumper pad but stumbled on a ready made one that matched the ensemble perfectly at a great sale price. Thank heavens, that would have been the most work.

No comments: