Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Sewing Workshop Soho Coat brown felted wool

2/22/06 5:30 PM
Last Updated:2/22/06 6:08 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:I Highly recommend this pattern

Pattern Description: This is a lovely A-line coat with a hood. There are inside patch pockets that are top-stitched, snap buckle strap closures, and a curved hem in front that drops lower in the back, to mid-calf.

Pattern Sizing: Sizes XS through XXL are included in the envelope. I made the size small although my measurements are on the high side of medium. No problem, plenty of ease. I used the XS pocket placement as my arms are short.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes except on me it is longer. I didn't shorten it at all and since I am 5'3" it drops below the mid-calf in back.

Were the instructions easy to follow? As with all Sewing Workshop patterns, the instructions are thorough and easy to follow. Good step by step illustrations with all finishing techniques included. It is an easy coat to construct.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Once again I wanted a relatively quick project. I have always liked the Sewing Workshop designs so I figured this to be a sure thing. I especially like the curved hem line and the buckle closures. Speaking of the buckle closures.... these are called slide buckles. I found a few plastic ones at Joann's. Didn't want those. Joann's also had these sold incased inside a package. They looked like metal so I bought them. Once home I discovered they were also plastic, just with a more metallic looking finish. I went ahead and sewed them on as I wanted to finish this. However I did an internet search looking for metal slide buckles. I found a site that had them, even less expensive than the $3.49 Joann's buckles. I checked around this web site to see if there was anything else I needed to discover it was not a sewing related site but a dog collar business. If these are used on dog collars I'm guessing they are much more sturdy than the silly plastic ones. They should arrive soon. (note: they were too heavy to use).

Fabric Used: This is the infamous brown boiled wool from Fabric Mart. I originally planned to leave the edges as cut since the fabric doesn't ravel. However at the end I decided that I wanted the extra firmness at the edges that doubling over the fabric created. This took more time of course as I had to turn, miter, top stitch all those edges but still a pretty quick project. Especially for a coat.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: Shortened the sleeves my usual 2 inches.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? This is a wonderfully, swaggery coat with lots of style. I love it and would sew it again. Other fabrics suggested are corduroy, velvet, velveteen, linen, denim, rainwear. All would be nice.

Conclusion California weather often needs this type of coat. Since there is no lining or underlining it probably wouldn't be warm enough for colder climates but for me it is just right.

No comments: