Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Sewing Workshop Mission Jacket

1/29/07 3:15 PM
Last Updated:1/29/07 3:40 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:Recommended, but with modifications

Pattern Description: This is an early Sewing Workshop pattern. They describe it as loose-fitting, unlined, below hip jacket with back, front and upper sleeve cut as one. Single layer folded collar extends to bottom hem. Straight sleeve has double-rolled cuff. Stitched hems and side vents. There is also a loose-fitting, pullover tank with bias-bound neck and armholes.

Pattern Sizing: All sizes included, Small through XXL. I used Small. Although it is loose fitting through the upper body it does narrow closer to the body at the hips.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Partly, see below.

Were the instructions easy to follow? yes. Sewing Workshop instructions are quite good.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I tried on a version of this at a class with Linda Lee where she was featuring some of her earlier patterns. This was made up in a soft, textured woven. I thought it looked great and, since I have owned the pattern for years, I was eager to go home and try it. The unusual thing about this design is that there is no shoulder seam. The front, back and upper sleeve are cut as one. Although this makes it very quick to sew it also created large folds at the back and front shoulders. I hadn't noticed this in the softer fabric in the sample garment but in my crisper fabric the folds were quite pronounced. I didn't like this look. First I pinned out the folds thinking I would sew them from underneath. I realized that the folds fell exactly where raglan seams would occur. That seemed boring. Then, going with the unusual look of my fabric, I changed the plan to external tucks, doubling them on both front and back. Now I like the look.

Fabric Used: double sided polyester or blend.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: See above.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I would not make this again nor recommend it unless you want to fiddle around as I did.

Conclusion Perhaps if you are using a soft and drapey fabric this would work out for you. It is a quick sew and good for showing off a double sided fabric.

No comments: