Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Sewing Workshop Hibiscus Shirt

2/22/06 4:39 PM
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:I Highly recommend this pattern

Pattern Description: This is an asymmetric A-line shirt with a collar on a band, lower bias panels and set-in sleeves with bell insets. If you follow the cutting layout the sleeve insets and pocket are also on the bias. This creates some interesting detailing, particularly when working with a stripe. Here is the back.

Pattern Sizing: The size ranges from XS to XXL. I cut out the small size even though my measurements are on the high side of the medium because I could see that there is plenty of ease in this style. I didn't do my usual FBA either and the fit is fine.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, except it is reversed. This came about because, after cutting it out, I decided I liked the other side of the fabric better. Since most of the pieces are asymmetric this resulted in my shirt being a mirror image. I even had to button left over right. I accidentally sewed the pocket on with the (now) wrong side up which made its stripes run opposite to the piece it was attached to. I liked this effect so I left it.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Easy and complete.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love asymmetry so I was attracted to this design. Really nothing to dislike.

Fabric Used: A drapey rayon with a slight texture and stripe.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: Well, just my accidental reversal...

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I like the look of this in linen so I may do it again.

Conclusion I think this is best in a slightly drapey fabric. Fabric suggestions on the pattern are cotton shirting, linen, chambray and silk douppioni. I think all these would be good unless they are quite stiff. The shape is a-line so a too stiff fabric well stand out unattractively I think.

No comments: