Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Folkwear Paris Promenade Dress 261

1/5/07 7:48 PM
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith


Pattern Description: In a discussion about this dress on the message board, I mentioned that I made the dress long ago, maybe 20 years. I loved it at the time and because of that I thought I might still have it in the back recesses of a closet. I was asked to post photos if I found it. Miraculously I found it. The good news is that although I made it 20 pounds ago it fits, because as you can see in the photos, it is huge and the fitting is from the sash. The bad news is that, although I can get it on, I don't think it is flattering with the extra 20 pounds, especially from the back. And, maybe it isn't quite my style anymore.

Here is the description from Folkwear: This easy-to-sew, easy-to-wear afternoon dress from about 1920 flatters any figure. Pullover dress is attached to bib-shaped overdress, then shaped to the body at the waist by a self-fabric sash or purchased decorative cord. Vintage-style drawstring handbag completes the look. Pattern includes instructions for making decorative tassels to attach at ends of dress sleeves and bottom of handbag. Suggested fabrics: Light to medium-weight fabrics with drape, such as silk, silk velvet, rayon, featherweight cotton, or jersey. For a more defined look, choose fabrics with more body, such as crisp cotton, lightweight linen, and silk taffeta.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes except I brought the tie around to the front. Also I see that they have modified the design to have a pointed bib in the front and back. Mine is straight across. That seems an improvement. I would have worn this with a necklace though which might work better with the straight across bib.

Were the instructions easy to follow? I think so but I really don't remember.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? At the time big, loose, long dresses were popular and I liked them. This one had a vintage charm without being too odd.

Fabric Used: Drapey rayon border print and crinkly solid black.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: none

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Not for me today but if the style suits you, it is easy to sew and fit. Be sure to use a drapey fabric.

Conclusion As you can see this is quite wide.

No comments: