Monday, April 16, 2007

Cutting Line Designs To the Point Origami Coat

Reviewed by:Ann Smith
photo
Friend of PR
About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
CA USA
Member since: 8/24/02
Reviews written: 155
Sewing skills:Advanced
Favored by: 186 people
patterns reviewed: 152
Bio: I love to sew for fashion, especially unusual designs. I own way too many patterns and fabric! I hav...full profile
Posted on:7/5/04 7:24 PM
Last Updated:7/5/04 7:30 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:Easy to sew

Pattern Description: This is a very loose fitting, knee-length wrap coat with a softly draped front that hangs in bias folds.

Pattern Sizing: One size

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes although the drawing shows the front folding back just a little bit.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Louise Cutting's instructions are very detailed, known as among the best in the business. This is mostly true although I found one oversight about finishing the neck facing and found the instructions for the collar self-facing a bit confusing. Excellent drafting and instructioinstructinsns for mitering corners.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like a dramatic wrap coat and this fills the bill. I didn't think Steam a Seam needed to be used so extensively....she instructs using it on every single seam and hem. Perhaps if you are using a really fussy fabric this would be helpful. I started to do it at the first suggestion and abandoned it since it adds quite a bit of time and was unnecessary with my fabric. After all, all those seams are flat felled and top-stitched.

Fabric Used: This is an unusual double cloth with beige linen on the outside and silver rayon on the other attached together with micro-dots.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: As this is a one size fits all pattern with a circumference of 76", I followed Louise's suggestion to fold out some inches on the pattern pieces. I folded out 8 inches altogether. Be aware that although this is wide all around, most of that is in the front. Since I folded out 4 inches on the back it is now only 21" across, barely big enough for my 38" hips (if I care about the side seams hanging at the side).
I also reversed the pockets so that the silver side is showing. I'm not sure I like this choice as they seem too noticeable to me. The front and sleeves are each 2 pieces with seaming and topstitching. This barely shows on the outside (inside quite noticeable) and took quite a bit of extra time. I would tape the pieces together and cut as one to eliminate all that unless it showed well on the particular fabric chosen.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I would make this again. It will look quite different with varying fabrics.

Conclusion A dramatic garment that is easy to sew, thanks to mostly excellent instructions.

No comments: