Thursday, April 1, 2010

Tracing from Polka Dot Overload

The blogger Polka Dot Overload at http://www.polkadotoverload.com/2010/03/perfect-pattern-tracing-paper-love.html#comments has an interesting topic open for discussion right now. She asks if you are a cutter or a tracer. She has converting from fear of tracing to loving tracing, attributed primarily to finding the right tracing material. This led to me thinking about the topic and formulating my feeling about it.


I am a cutter. I hate to trace. I have tried different tracing materials and do it when necessary. But it is not about the problems with the different tracing materials but the act of tracing. It is very time consuming, it hurts my back, it is easy to be inaccurate, etc. I like to cut right into the pattern. It is only a pattern. I get them at sale prices. They are not expensive. Even expensive ones I cut out. My time (and back) are worth the expense. So what if I render the pattern unusable for the future. The chances are slim that I will use it again. If I do want to reuse a pattern it is a rare chance that it will not be reuseable. You can always tape it or add tissue where needed. Also, I don't like heavy paper patterns. So much bulk. I like the flimsy tissue.


How about it? Anybody like me?

7 comments:

Vicki said...

I mainly use Burda mag patterns, so I trace. I don't trace the paper patterns - I cut into them!

shams said...

I like to hear other's opinions on this, so thanks for your point of view. Like you, for Big 4 patterns, which I always buy when steeply discounted, I cut. But for independent patterns, which are much more expensive, or old vintage patterns that I prize, I trace. I used to use pattern drafting paper and it was a PITA, but I did it anyway. Now that I have actual tracing paper, it is so easy. I usually make lots of alterations, so I like to have the originals. My weight has changed a lot in the last few years (in both directions), so tracing is good insurance. :)

Little Hunting Creek said...

I do both - I hate tracing but do it if I have to. I prefer to cut, though.

Ann Made Studio said...

I don't mind tracing so I do both.
I do the same as Shams commented above, I trace the independent company's patterns. I bought a huge roll of the brown paper and I keep the traced pattern as my TNT.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

I always cut till I got a Burda magazine, and that rocked my world. I'm with you - I hate taking the time to do it. At the Sandra Betzina thing I just went to I expected everybody to trace, but they all cut - whew!

Anonymous said...

i love to cut but often trace. here is england the expensive vougue patterns can cost nearly usd50 - but i buy them on sale a lot cheaper than this. but on the occasions where a pattern has been expensive or precious (OOP) than i will trace - bad back and all.

ruth

DanainDFW said...

I don't like tracing, but really don't like the cutting-out of fabric, either! If it's a pattern like Burda, I have to trace but mostly I cut up those sale patterns.