Friday, October 17, 2008

Vogue DKNY 2951 skirt

Here is my review of the Thai Silk skirt:




Last year when I was shopping at Thai Silks I fell in love with this silk/rayon burnout chiffon. The celadon dots are velvet and the black is sheer chiffon. Nearby I spotted a duppioni in the beautiful celadon color so the idea sprung forth in my mind to combine the two. Since using the two fabrics together would make a more stiff hand, a more structured garment was called for. I searched through their one pattern book (they don't sell patterns but do keep a Vogue book on hand for such searching) and found this skirt that looked right and didn't call for a lot of fabric. I purchased the chiffon and duppioni as well as silk organza to underline the skirt.

I went home, entered the fabrics in my data base and forgot about it. Why, I was so excited about it at the time?? Anyway about 2 weeks ago my friend who lives near Thai Silks invited me over and told me about an open house event they were having at the store. 25% discount on all fabrics, goodie bags, refreshments were offered. We were encouraged to wear or bring something we made from one of their fabrics. So, you know what happened, I suddenly remembered this purchase and flew into action, sewing up the skirt. Read more about the event on my blog

I decided to cut all three fabrics at once. I have never done this before but I thought the other silks would help stabilize the chiffon much the same way that using paper underneath would. I layered all three and cut away. Then I carefully lifted each stack of fabric to the serger and overlocked all around the edges. This helped immensely in keeping the chiffon under control. Although this was fairly time consuming, the rest of the construction was speedy. This pattern goes together easily and if you are working with a linen, gabardine, faille or other sturdy fabric as they suggest, the skirt can be done in a few hours.

Pattern Description: Vogue describes the skirt as having a pleated front with invisible zipper back closure. 1" below waist and above knee length. The jacket is semi-fitted, lined with patch pockets, princess seams in back, topstitched design trim and buttoned front.

Pattern Sizing: 6-8-10-12 or 14-16-18-20. I made size 14 with no alterations.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes although I made the waist loose so it rides lower than 1" on me. It runs quite short and I like it a little lower on my knee.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Easy

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the pockets. At first I thought, why do I want pockets in a dressy skirt but I realized they are part of the design paralleling the pleat. Once done, I love putting my hands in them. I also like that the back is flat. I think if the tulip shape of the front were also in the back that it would not flatter me as well. Another view of the back.

Fabric Used: As mentioned above, silk chiffon burnout, silk duppioni and silk organza.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: None

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes I would sew this again perhaps in a tweed or menswear wool. Definitely recommend it. I see it is now OOP but still available on the website. I'm not crazy about the jacket but bought the pattern only for the skirt.

Conclusion: In the photos you can't really see that the fabric is chiffon. Even in real life it doesn't look much like it but the combination of fabrics make an elegant, unique look.

1 comment:

toy said...

the skirt is divine, it looks great on you