Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Vogue 8397 Marcy Tilton pant






These are pull-on pants that are described as loose-fitting through the hip. I sewed view B which is tapered with side panels (no side seams), buttonhole and button tabs.
They were very simple to sew but required fit alterations to look good on me. The fabric is a permanently wrinkled/crinkled black polyester I think.

I cut a size 14 as per my measurements although, looking at the depth of the crotch I decided to cut that a size 10 to make it higher. I usually need to make a 14 in skirts or pants. After sewing the pants enough to try on I could see that they would be too big. They are described as loose fitting so I wasn't surprised by this but didn't like the look on me. After all I am only 5'3". I took in all vertical seams to size 12. I also tapered the front and back crotch seam in at the waist. This took out a lot of excess so the gathering around the waist is minimal. Now they looked much better around but the crotch seam was very low. This was easily remedied by cutting 2 inches off the top of the waistline. These were very easy alterations that could be done after cutting and sewing. I always like that so you don't have to get too stressed when cutting out.

I had intended these pants to be full length so I hadn't done my usually shortening when cutting out. However, since I took 2 inches off at the waist, they became the length shown on the pattern. I like this length anyway as it shows off the tab better. I also changed the elastic application technique at the waist. Instead of making a casing as suggested I applied the elastic to the edge and turned/top-stitched.

These are very comfy and stylish I think. I will enjoy wearing them. The top is Sewing Workshop Mimosa top which I will post about next.

No comments: