Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Simplicity 4434 Baby clothes


I wanted to make a gift for my expectant DIL using a fun fabric. I had made a great blanket for my other DIL using a flannel monkey print and minkie. They are still using that blanket after almost 3 years. I found this wonderful animal print at Fabric.com in Minkie and looked for a flannel to harmonize. I even ordered one with this one but the colors were horrible together. I had also ordered the polka dot Minkie in the same colorway to use for another project. So when these arrived and I had to discard my original plan with the flannel I looked to the dotted fabric to be the reverse. The fabric was thinner than I had expected but that worked to my advantage in this case because using the two together was not too heavy. By careful cutting I was able to make the blanket and have enought left to make this cute little cape. Miraculously I also found a could squeeze out the matching pants. These baby clothes don't take much yardage!

Pattern Sizing: I cut size 6 months. I don't know about how it will fit as the baby (known to be a girl this time) is not yet born.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very easy. Nice instructions for making the tassels and pompons, something I hadn't done before.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Cute style, maybe not the most useful for a baby but easy to put on.

Fabric Used: Animal print and dotted Minkie fleece.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: No changes to the cape and pants. The blanket was my own invention. I was going to make the shaped bunting on the pattern but the bias binding I had looked terrible with my fabric. So I changed plans mid stream and cut one square for the blanket smaller than the other, laid the smaller inside the other, mitered the corners and brought the edges over to look like binding.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes. Now that I see how easy it is to make baby pull on pants I will certainly not hesitate to make more. Really only about 20 minutes.

Conclusion: Cute little set. I'm eager for the my new GD to arrive to see it on her. Really, I'm just eager to have a granddaughter. I have 2 boys, my sister has 2 boys, my brother has 3 boys and 1 girl, my son has 2 boys. You see there is an extreme shortage of girls for me to dress.

2 comments:

Cool Baby Clothes said...

Beautiful Collection of Clothes for this New Year.. I love it.....even my child also...

Anonymous said...

I am working on this same pattern for my daughter to wer this fall. I am so confused ont he hood. Can you please help? alisadpayne@aol.com