Thursday, October 23, 2008

knitting for Oz



I finally finished the little sweater for Oz. I bought this yarn in New Zealand 2 years ago when he was expected but expected to be a girl. Those ultrasounds are not always right! Fortunately this yarn is multi-colored and appropriate for a boy as well. I wanted to make a little cardigan with a hood which is what I did but I agonized about for a year because I didn't think I had enough yarn. All the patterns I looked at seemed to indicate that I did not have enough. This pattern, which starts at the neck and knits down, gave me the choice of ending with a crew neck or a hood. I figured I could get all the rest done and then make the decision whether to go for the hood. As you can see I just barely made it. I had only a few short pieces of yarn left over! I hope it fits him...

The sleeves are knit in the round which is nice because you don't need to sew up the seams. However I decided I'm not crazy about knitting with the double point needles in a small circle. I think I will try to avoid that in the future. I used vintage leather buttons to make it look a little more masculine.