Friday, May 8, 2009

Sewing Workshop Ikina Jacket










I forgot to blog about my Ikina Jacket.
I love Asian styling, especially enduring styles like the kimono to make garments I can wear for years.

Pattern Description: The Ikina Jacket is a below waist jacket with open sides finished with kimono-like facings, bias-cut, one-piece collar/band, three-quarter length sleeves and deep hems. The pattern also includes above ankle, pull on pants with elastic waist. I just made the jacket. I used Sewing Workshop Plaza Pants pattern for the pants I'm wearing here. The top is an older Burda pattern, 8987, that I have used before for a simple, bias tank. I lowered the vee this time and eliminated the back slit opening as it wasn't necessary for getting into the top. I find those slits on bias often poke out at the back so I try to avoid them.

I used size small although my measurements call for medium. This works best for me with a loose fitting garment as my shoulders are small and there is plenty of ease for the problem bust area. As always Sewing Workshop has excellent instructions that result in a beautiful finished product inside and out.

I'm calling this silk organza because I don't know better. It is similar in crispness to organza but has this beautiful woven in pattern and texture and is a different color on the back side. Does someone know what it is? I purchased it at StoneMountain & Daughter in Berkeley. I used the back side of the fabric for the neckband and facing. I also flipped the hem of the sleeve to the outside to show the back side of the fabric there.

I know some sewers have left off the side facings and sewn the seam traditionally thinking it would make them look wider. I considered doing this because I certainly don't want to look wider! But I basted the facing on and loved it. I certainly feel it makes the style special. Without it is okay but not extraordinary.












6 comments:

Birgitte said...

This truly brings out your beauty, Ann, just spectacular, the style, colors, everything.

Carla said...

What a classy outfit this is. I really like how you have found your style. It's extremely good-looking.

Pam Erny said...

Ann..stunning as always!

gwensews said...

Really nice looking piece. I've had this pattern for a long time, and never made it. It's difficult to see how a garment actually will look made up, just from line drawings. Thank you for posting this.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

The fabric makes this sooooooo stunning!

Annika said...

I love that Ikina jacket. Great ensemble, you truly have a gift for combining colors and textures.