Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sewing Workshop Liberty Shirt






The Liberty Shirt from Sewing Workshop is described on the pattern envelope as a "shirt or jacket with diagonal side seams angled to the front, soft stand-up collar, and set-in sleeves with vent openings. Asymmetric front and back deep hems with mitered corners. Front topstitching detail and five-button closure." It is exactly as described. Sewing Workshop does a terrific job on the instructions. They make everything clear with good illustrations and extra details that lead to a nicely finished garment. I always fall for something a little different and asymmetry especially attracts me. The side seams and unusual collar caught my eye.

The sizes run from XS to XXL. I made the small although my measurements indicate the larger end of the medium. I did add an inch at the bust but took in the shoulders 1/4 inch to be even smaller than the small. I didn't shorten the length which would probably have been a good idea for my short height. However, though I usually shorten sleeves 2 inches on most patterns, I didn't do that here and they are the right length. So if you have normal or long arms be sure to check the sleeve length before you cut.

My friend Dorothy made this in silk noil and I got to try it on. That is how I knew I should make a small with the FBA. However, hers was more flattering on me I think because of the drapier fabric she used. I like mine but I may make another for that other look. I definitely recommend this. The fabric you use makes such a difference in a garment. My linen stands away from the body more than the silk noil but it may soften with time. It also is a dressier look. I do like my shirt and love the color.

6 comments:

gwensews said...

The shirt looks great on you. Sewing Workshop has intersting patterns. They are oversize garments though. I tend to go to a smaller than usual size on them also. Petty color. BTW--LOVE the shoes!

Anne-Marie said...

Simple, original and so stylish. I love the collar, the sleeve vent and the uneven bottom hem. This is such and interesting pattern ! Nice with pants, jeans, skirt...

Pam Erny said...

Ann..this is just lovely! I love the lines of this garment..and seeing it on petite you gives me an idea of what it might look like on 5' me!

Pam ~Off The Cuff~

Unknown said...

Hi. I made this top without the FBA and think I'd like to make one for the next version I make. However, I've never made an FBA and don't quite understand how you'd do it on something as loose fitting as this (i.e., no darts). Can you describe what you did?
Thanks so much.
Sherry

Ann said...

Sirene, I think I just pivoted the side seam out to add a bit on the side edges. The pivoting technique keeps the armscye the same. Sometimes I just add to the SA without pivoting and it works out okay with the sleeve if there hasn't been too much added.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Ann. I'll give the FBA a whirl.