Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Felted bag



What a fun project to do. Knit quickly on giant needles combining yarns every which way, then throw in the washing machine to transform. No sizing worries like for a hat or garment. The photos with the balls of yarn shows the size before felting. About 18 inches tall by twice as wide. You can use my toes for reference.

Now the only thing left is to decide whether I want to line this thing. I think it would probably be a good idea as it would help keep the shape plus I could put a pocket for the phone and a magnet to close.

I used 5 different colors of Cascade wool yarn, knitting 2 colors together always. Then I added 1 of 4 different novelty yarns (bought at Joann's from their $.97 bin) carried along with the 2 wool yarns. Size 15 needles. The handles are also 2 colors held together knitting an i-cord 42 inches long on size 10 needles.

Wash with the hottest water, a pair of jeans and a few drops of detergent, checking once and a while to see if it has shrunk enough. This was tricky with a front load washer as it doesn't like to be stopped mid-cycle but I figured out a way.

I'm thrilled with how this turned out.

No comments: