Friday, August 17, 2007

Vogue 7907 Marcy Tilton Jacket




I finally got some non-blurry photos of my new jacket. I'm very thrilled with how this project turned out. Recently at the ASG Conference in Sacramento, I kept looking at the wonderful offerings in the vendors exhibit hall but was determined to avoid buying more fabric. That lasted until the final day when I spotted these cottons. I've wanted to make this Marcy Tilton jacket for a long time but didn't have the right fabrics in my stash. Marcy's booth was nearby so I ran over there and borrowed a copy of the pattern to figure the amounts to buy. I even showed her my fabric selections when I returned to her booth. She seemed to approve. I only bought fabric for one other project and I have sewn them both up already. That must be some kind of record for me for length of time in the stash (or lack of time in the stash really).

The main fabric is a cotton dobby (textured) with an Asian motif. I selected two other cottons in the red tones found in the dobby print. I also purchased matching solid black dobby to make pants to go with the jacket. Well, okay, I haven't sewn that yet. As the jacket is quite loose fitting I didn't do my usual FBA. The only alteration was to shorten the sleeves one inch. I almost always do that.

Before I started I thought the two views shown on the pattern envelope were different. It looks as though the collars are different and the yardages called for are slightly different. However they are the same. View B is closed with button and loop so the collar looks different. The varied yardages are just because the contrast fabric placement is different.

Isn't the back neat with the pleats at the bottom? This jacket is very easy to make. I think the reason it is listed as advanced is because of the dying techniques described by Marcy. The jacket construction and fitting is simple.

5 comments:

dawn said...

Great fabric choices. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful jacket and incredible pairing of fabric and pattern. Can you tell me what vendor carries such nice patterned dobby cloth? I love Japanese fabrics, and am always looking for more sources.

Thank you, bonnie

Ann said...

Thank you Dawn and Bonnie. The vendor is J.R.Flamingo Fabrics in Sacramento

Anonymous said...

Very stylish Ann, as usual.
zetor

Kim said...

What a great jacket! The design, of course, is fabulous, and your construction looks really beautiful. I have that pattern and haven't made it yet... you have inspired me to do so. I have to unbury my cutting table, but then it is look through my stash (I have so much!) and start!