Thursday, June 28, 2007

Butterick 4238 Wrap Top









Funny how these projects evolve. I picked this pattern for a white crinkled fabric I have. I really like this fabric. So I decided to test this pattern first on another fabric. Ironically the fabric I chose for the muslin cost me more than the white fabric. How silly. But that's how these projects go sometimes. I barely had enough of this test fabric but I squeezed it out. Before I got too far I decided I didn't want this pattern for my white fabric because I feared it would look like a lab coat. At this point one must continue even though one is no longer testing for the favored fabric nor interested in the pattern. So my attitude was not good about this garment....

This is a loose-fitting top with shaped hems. View D, which is the one I made, has a wrap front, 3/4 sleeves and self fabric ties. The other views have side slits, short sleeves or are sleeveless. There is also a pull-on pants pattern. This is an easy pattern with adequate instructions.

The fabric is a cotton print I bought a few years ago from a booth at Puyallup. I don't remember what I had in mind for it. Maybe nothing.

I cut size 10 at the shoulders and did a FBA adding to about size 13 at the sides. The fit is very good at the shoulders. I notice that the right side point hits more in the middle than the pattern picture shows. Not crazy about how that looks.

When I cut it out I wasn't paying attention and didn't cut the left side straight across so it was shaped just like the right side. When I put it together I thought, how odd, it doesn't look like the pattern. Well, duh. I thought maybe I liked it with the two points so I hemmed it that way. Tried it on with possible pants and thought it was a wadder. I decided the problem was the length. I took off 3 inches all around plus cut the left side straight as per the pattern. Much better.

Once I tried it with the pants that were forgotten and lurking in my closet I find I like it.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

You always have a knack of making garments that flatter your body type and your colouring. I feel like I know a bit more about you each time I see one of your new creations. This top is another winner!

Sharon Sews said...

It is funny how project evolve isn't it? Sometimes what we have in our minds is completely opposite of what the final outcome is. This one is beautiful and I think this fabric choice is better than the white would have been.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann,
i just made this top, and had all the same conclusions about it as you did...AND it was going to be a wadder too! ( definately looked like a lab coat to me )
I will try shortening it, and see if I like it enough to keep it. The other thing I am thinking of doing is, using snaps instead of the ties. I am a little leery of them untying and I feel I might be fidgeting with the ties ALOT!
Love your fabric, mine is a cotton diagonal print from JoAnns.

I am glad you mentioned your blog on PR. so I could congratulate you on your new grandson...CONGRATULATIONS!!
Enid

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Anonymous said...

fear of god outlet
nike dunks
goyard bag
golden goose sale
air jordan
off-white
fear of god essentials hoodie
fear of god hoodie
jordan 13
goyard handbags