Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Vogue 8353 Divine Details gingham dress

Posted on:5/1/07 12:41 PM


Last Updated:5/1/07 12:48 PM


Pattern Size:Regular


Project Photo:photo


Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith




Pattern Rating:Easy to sew






Pattern Description: Vogue describes this as a slightly flared dress with front and back 1" tucks, wing collar, extended armholes and purchased trim. Length is below mid-knee.

Pattern Sizing: Size A is 6-8-10 and Size B is12-14-16. I used size A. More about sizing under alterations below.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Pretty much since I used the same fabric except in brown/white. i did not add the lace trim. It is applied at the end with the fabric cut away from behind it. If ever I found appropriate lace I might do that.

Were the instructions easy to follow? This an easy garment even though it looks more complex. Only 3 pattern pieces: front, back, and front facing. Marking and sewing the tucks is the only part that takes any time.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Playing with the checks, the retro style, the collar. I disliked the inaccuracy about the finished garment measurements (more below...)

Fabric Used: Brown/white cotton/poly gingham. I looked hard for something different, preferably stripes or at least checks with less contrast. Also I wanted all natural fiber. I consider this a wearable muslin as I don't really like the cotton/poly. To play with the checks you need an even check or stripe. An inch works with the way the pattern is marked but you could use another size adding more tucks to create the proper sizing.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: As I considered this a muslin I plunged in without a lot of caution. In other words I believed the measurement given on the pattern tissue as to finished bust/waist/hip measurements. The bust for size 10 is 46". Plenty of ease there so no FBA needed. Hips are 62". Again, fine, no problem. Waist is given as 31". Ok I thought. I will just cut out the 10. First issue....I haven't measured my waist for a while and thought it was 28" Ha. Turns out it is now 30". You are supposed to only need one inch ease at the waist but this, this was way too tight. I measured the flat pattern to find that they were off a bit. The waist is only 30 inches with the tucks as marked. To allow more space for my midsection I released the outer tucks, front and back. That added 4 inches. However, since the tucks are sewn to hide the white check it is necessary to fudge a bit on each tuck, taking in a hair more than the inch allowed. You need to do this or the white check shows. So if you take in a hair extra on 25 tucks you end up with about another 2 inch shortage around. So it is almost big enough now. You can see the affect of releasing the outer tuck at the side seams (more white) and sleeve (wider off the shoulder). I could let out the side seams another quarter inch which should take care of the snugness (notice pulling at the buttons) or I could loose a few pounds. Let's see, which would be easier?

The other alteration I did was to shorten the length of the tucks on the front by one inch at the top to accommodate my lower bust line.

One detail I like is how the collar checks automatically line up with the back stripes. Another view of the back.

The dress is shorter than I like and seems shorter than pictured on the photo and I am only 5'3". I took a minimal half inch hem instead of the suggested 1 1/2 inch.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I would love this in a light weight linen, maybe a solid color. If I ever find an appropriate stripe I will try it again.

Conclusion Cute, easy dress.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am just finishing this dress and I agree that the sizing runs small. I should have gone up a size when I cut out the dress .I also used a 1" brown/white gingham and that worked out well. The pattern is ingenious and I had no trouble with the collar construction, everything matched to the last millimeter. I am going to make the dress again, but in a bigger size and I will add two inches on the hem. I wish though, I could find a higher quality fabric. The cotton/ poly I found on the web is a bit thin.