Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Vogue 8205 white linen jacket/top

4/15/06 1:46 PM
Last Updated:4/15/06 2:01 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:Easy to sew

Pattern Description: A top and skirt with pants also included in the pattern. Vogue describes this as an unlined jacket but it is close fitting and not designed to wear anything underneath so I call it a top. It has a self-faced and interfaced front. I made view A with mid-arm length sleeves. The skirt has a faced yoke, pleats and side seam zipper.

Pattern Sizing: Size AA includes 6-8-10-12 or EE which includes 14-16-18-20. I made a 10 with FBA and graded up to 14 for the skirt.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes except for my variations described below.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very easy. The only part of this design that might cause trouble, aside from fitting, is the neckline. Careful trimming and pressing is important to get a smooth curve. The instructions mention trimming, turning and pressing but don't emphasize the care needed here.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the skirt. It is super quick and easy, comfortable and cute. Dislike: The line drawing shows the skirt with no center front or back seam. The sketch shows a seam. The cutting layout calls for the center front and back seam. I really didn't want a seam down the center front or back and managed to cut the fabric without it. This took more fabric than the pattern calls for. So be aware of this when you buy fabric.

Fabric Used: The photo of this pattern in the catalogue shows it with a white top and black with white polka dot skirt. I liked this idea and was on the lookout for polka dots when I was at a sewing expo recently. I found this beige linen with embroidered white dots and jumped on it. The top is also linen.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: First change: the pattern shows buttons at the side seams on the top. This looks really silly unless you see the photo with the black polka dot skirt. The buttons are there to echo the dots. Also the top is designed with snap closures. I didn't feel that would be secure enough with a fitted style so I changed it to buttons down the front.

Size alterations included a FBA by the pivot/swivel method. That worked fine except I see now that I have a photo of the back that it is a wee bit snug across the back waist area. I think it fits well without the skirt on but I need to allow a little more ease for it. I will either lose 3 pounds or, more easily, let out the darts at the waist back.

For the skirt, since I usually need a 14 which was not included in my pattern size range, it was an easy matter to add extra at the side seams.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I would make the skirt again and highly recommend it. I won't make the top again as it is quite distinctive but it was easy to sew. Another thought.... I am very low busted so not much cleavage is revealed. If you are normally busted and don't want cleavage showing this may not be the top for you.

Conclusion I particularly like the skirt. It reminds of me something I made in about 1968. I will probably wear it most often with a white knit top which will be more comfortable and casual. The top is striking but will wrinkle lots so I will save it for dressier occasions.

No comments: