Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Vogue 8088 Marcy Tilton silk velvet jacket


1/29/07 2:08 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:Easy to sew

Pattern Description: This is a loose fitting vest or jacket with a shaped hem and no closures. Marcy Tilton includes embellishment techniques with metallic foil patches or contrast patches and ribbon. I didn't use any of the embellishments. Previously I made this in silk organza which creates a very different look.

Pattern Sizing: XY (S-M-L) or XZ (XL-XXL). I used size Small

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? The shape is the same.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very good instructions that are easy to follow. This pattern is designed with mitered corners and inch wide hems of doubled fabric. French seams are used through out.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the unusual shaping created by the triangular side piece.

Fabric Used: For this version I used a lovely silk velvet in a paisley pattern. Though this fabric is beautiful it was tough to deal with. It wants to drape and ripple (check out how the back of the sleeves drape) and it is hard to top-stitch accurately. However it is incredibly comfortable. Because of the difficulties inherent in this fabric I wanted to keep it simple which is why I picked this pattern.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I left off the cuff from the sleeve. I felt my fabric would not hold the fold of the cuff well. Also I didn't do my usual FBA because of the relaxed fit of this design.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? If I were to make this pattern again in such a drapey fabric I would switch out the sleeve to a standard 2 piece sleeve. This one is a 2 piece sleeve with the seam moved to the back which creates bias on the lower back sleeve piece. I may not make it again as more than 2 times is unusual for me on any pattern but I do recommend this to you.

You can see how different this pattern looks in a crisp fabric at my previous review which is sewn from silk organza. I like the pattern either way.

No comments: