Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Vogue 7974 Cape

11/21/05 7:00 AM
Last Updated:2/7/05 1:47 AM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:Easy to sew

My California climate rarely calls for a heavy winter coat but some sort of wrap is often needed. I love capes because they have just enough warmth, are quick and easy to sew, go over suits, sweaters or other bulky garments, and are dramatic.

Pattern Description: This is an unlined cape either above or below the knee with front snap closures. It is either with a collar or without, and with or without princess seams and with curved or straight bottom hem.

Pattern Sizing: 2 size combinations Y(XS-S-M) or Z(L-XL)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, except it looks longer on me even though I shortened it 2 inches.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I was attracted to the collar which I haven't seen on a cape.

Fabric Used: A fairly heavy cashmere/wool with a slightly brushed surface in dark olive. I wish I had used a sturdier interfacing in the collar. I used a firm sew-in but because the collar is tall it needs a bit more support.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I had to cut off 2 inches all around the lower edge because the sleeves were too long for me. I almost always need to shorten sleeves 2 inches so that is no surprise but in this case it was necessary to shorten the entire cape just to remove the extra at the sleeve.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? It looks a little severe to me but that could be the fabric. I would recommend it especially to someone who likes the idea of a cape but doesn't want to have it slipping around as some do. This one stays in place like a coat because of the snaps and structured collar. I would definitely make it again.

No comments: