Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Vogue 7827 Butterfly blouse burnout linen

7/26/05 11:08 PM
Last Updated:7/26/05 11:11 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:Easy to sew

This is a fun, floaty top suitable for georgette, charmeuse, challis, rayon or other drapey fabrics. It plays on the poncho trend but is really a blouse. There are 3 views; A: loose fitting, pull-over top with peek-a-boo shoulders, sleeve slits and band at waist. This is the one I made. View B is semi-fitted, cowl-neck top with elasticized shirring at the sides and slits at armholes. View C is also semi-fitted, pull-over with gathered, dart at underarms, front and back V-neck styling and ribbon ties creating ruching at the front.

I used a burn-out sheer described as linen at Joann's where I bought it. I'm dubious about the linen part but it doesn't matter as it is a really great looking fabric. As it is quite sheer I am wearing a camisole underneath.

This top is easy to sew and would be very quick to make if you serged the edges. I followed the instructions on the pattern which called for turned and top-stitched edges. This took awhile and I must say I'm not crazy about doing that on a sheer. Every variance shows up drastically. Next time I do a rolled edge with the serger. It is basically a rectangle that has a partial seam up the sides and an applied band at the bottom. I like the open sleeves that are caught together in just two spots.

I made my usual size without doing a FBA because there is a lot of ease in the design. However, a big warning...... if you are full busted be sure to add on to the band at the bottom. Fortunately I added extra as insurance when I cut it out. I didn't need it for going around the high hip where it sits but I did need that extra to get the top on over my bust. It just barely clears. I followed Sue Wilson's suggestion to attach the band in two steps and that worked out very nicely. Thanks, Sue.

I recommend this pattern as it is a comfy and trendy garment that covers up a bit more than a lot of the summer tops floating around right now.

No comments: