Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Vogue 7640 Silk organza jacket


8/21/05 1:53 AM
Last Updated:8/21/05 10:35 AM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo: Vogue Pattern Information

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:I Highly recommend this pattern

Pattern Description: This is a wonderful coordinates pattern that I'm happy to see is still available. I reviewed this 2 years ago when I made the jacket and skirt in a striped linen. When perusing my patterns, trying to decide what to use for this beautiful silk organza, I remembered this one. I was concerned at first that the fabric might not drape adequately for the folds on the front but after fiddling around with draping it over my shoulders I decided to go for it. I am so glad I did. I love the results. In fact I am ecstatic over this jacket. It is just what I wanted to go over the pleated chiffon dress.

It is an unlined, loose-fitting jacket with the front extending into collar and lapels with long sleeves and narrow hems. The wrong side of the fabric shows at the collar and lapels. The pattern also includes a beautiful skirt and straight legged pants.

Pattern Sizing: The pattern comes in 8-10-12, 14-16-18, or 20-22-24.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? This jacket is super fast and easy to sew. The instructions are fine.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the draped front and collar. I like that the back is not full so that the garment doesn't overwhelm me.

Fabric Used: Silk organza with chenille squares embroidered on from EOS.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I decided to use the sleeves from Vogue 2751 which I recently made. They are a little narrower yet cut a tad higher under the arm. I find them to be more comfortable than the sleeves on this pattern. I also cut the back slightly wider as I didn't want there to be any strain on the organza. If you fold the collar outwards as shown on the pattern illustration the wrong side of the fabric shows. This would be okay on my fabric as it looks fine. But I find that one can fold the collar inward and then the right side of the fabric shows.

I changed the seam finish to French seams through out. I think this looks nice with the sheer fabric and is easier to do than a turned and top stitched finish.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I highly recommend this pattern. It is one of the first that came out with the fronts consisting of extended rectangles. A great design to feature a beautiful fabric.

No comments: