|Reviewed by:||Ann Smith|
|Posted on:||10/18/02 7:11 PM|
|Pattern Rating:||Recommended, but with modifications|
|I chose to make this dress to use some very old and drapey wool(think moth holes). I also wanted to work on fitting a bodice as it has been a long while since I have done that with a woven fabric. As you can see it is not fitted through the waist, just the shoulders and bust. I didn't feel a fitted waist would flatter my gravity affected body. I cut the bodice 3 sizes smaller than my bust measurement so that the neck and shoulders would fit. Then I added 4 inches via pivot and swivel method (1 inch at each side seam) to accomodate the larger bust measurement. I tapered that into 1/2 inch extra at each side seam at the waist and hips. I also deepened and dropped the bust dart. These changes all worked out well to result in a good fit.|
The dress is not difficult to construct although the bound neck and armholes take care so that puckers don't result. I found it tricky to attach the skirt to the bodice because of the alterations to the bodice. The skirt has only a center back seam which needs to line up with the bodice back seam (which has an invisible zipper). The front of the skirt needs to meet exactly at the v point. So if you alter the top, be aware that you will need to fiddle with the skirt pieces to get it just right. Also it is puzzling as to how to shorten the dress. The skirt pieces form a right angle which you need to keep in tact to look right. You can't just cut off the long point (which hit the ground on me) without affecting the length of the back (which is rather short). I cut off the overly long point and tapered around to the side, trying to keep the right angle look.
I like this dress but I think I would like it alot better in black!