Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Vogue 2555 Donna Karan top, Missoni stripe knit

11/27/06 8:42 PM
Last Updated:11/27/06 9:47 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo: Vogue Pattern Information

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:I would definitely sew this pattern again

Pattern Description: I've had this pattern for 5 years or so. It continued to be in the Vogue catalog until recently so some of you may have it in your pattern stash. The top looks similar to some current looks with the band at the bottom and blousing above it. Vogue describes it as a mock wrap, blouson, pullover top with bias front, neckline binding and peplum. View B that I made has semi-fitted, long sleeves. View A is sleeveless with bound armholes. There is a fitted, straight skirt in the pattern also.

Pattern Sizing: Standard sizing with 6-8-10 or 12-14-16 or 18-20-22 together in the envelope. I made size 10 with FBA. Since I usually wear a 14 in a skirt I just added to the side seams to make it work.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes except for the skirt that I changed to have no slits.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Instructions were very good. No problems.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I wanted a pattern that I could play with the stripes of my fabric. This has a bias front so you see the diagonal stripes. The front is bound so I used the fabric going a different direction for that. The peplum/band has the stripes vertical and the skirt and back of the top have horizontal stripes. So I liked this pattern for those options. I also like the blouson effect that has come back into style (helps hide that excess around the waist).

Fabric Used: A Missoni look knit from EmmaOneSock. I love the fabric but it was problematic to work with. Matching the stripes wasn't too hard but the cut edges all curled a lot. I needed to press these flat to stitch seams. The problem was that I didn't want to press much because it flattened the bubbly effect of the knit. So I was careful to just press in the seam allowance. Also the fabric relaxed a lot as I worked with it which required quite a bit of taking in on the side seams of both the top and the skirt. I loved the scalloped edge on the selvage of the fabric so I used it for the hemline of the skirt and sleeves. That too had to be carefully pressed flat.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: My normal alterations for size plus I eliminated the slit in the skirt. And changed the direction of the fabric as described above.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes I would sew it again. I like the variation on the wrap top. The front crossover is quite low and gaps open. I like it open with camisole underneath to break up all that pattern. If one didn't like it gaping open it would be easy to tack it closed at center front.

Conclusion Fun top that seems current. Why do they take these out of the catalog when their time has finally arrived?

No comments: