Saturday, April 14, 2007

Vogue 2232 Geoffrey Beene

Reviewed by:Ann Smith
Friend of PR
About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Member since: 8/24/02
Reviews written: 154
Sewing skills:Advanced
Favored by: 185 people
patterns reviewed: 151
Bio: I love to sew for fashion, especially unusual designs. I own way too many patterns and fabric! I hav...full profile
Posted on:10/18/02 7:31 PM
Last Updated:10/18/02 7:34 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:Recommended, but with modifications

I thought this was going to be a quick and easy project. No lining, no facings, no interfacing, no closures. Boy, was I wrong! Perhaps if you picked a very drapey. non bulky fabric, it would work well. But the fabrics listed on the pattern, Matelasse (which is what I thought my fabric was similar to), Pique and Gabardine, would all result in the problems I struggled with.

All seemed to be going well until the last step which is adding the self-binding around the edges. First, the technique for mitering the corners described in the pattern instructions was puzzling, if not actually wrong. And, because of the bulk of the fabric, I couldn't apply the binding the way instructed (doubled with raw edges together, stitched and folded over). I had to apply the binding as a single layer. So I did that and put on the jacket. Horrors!! The back stood out from the body in an alarming way and the side points looked ridiculous. It hadn't looked so bad before the binding but I guess that added a firmness that changed the look.

After much pondering I decided to remove 12 inches from the back. I undid the 2 back seams (flat felled with 2 rows of topstitching) all the way up to the shoulder blades. These seams I resewed tapering from 0 to 3 inches deep at the hem, thus 12 inches. The back still stood out. So I added the belt to hold it in a little (See photo of the back). I also cut back the side points by 3 inches. They just looked awkward and too long. And then I added the loops and buttons to the front as it looked unfinished with no closures.

Even after all these changes, I'm not very happy with this jacket. I love the fabric but it should have been in a straighter style. This style calls for a jersey or rayon, something that flows.

No comments: