Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Simplicity 5839 Kimono jacket silk organza

10/8/06 8:18 PM
Last Updated:10/9/06 12:31 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:Simplicity 5839
Simplicity Pattern Information
Pattern Rating:I would definitely sew this pattern again

Pattern Description: This pattern is a June Colburn design for a Kimono, a Haori, and an Obi. The construction is true to the traditional method with the garments lined. The designer includes instructions on how to tie the obi as well as how the Haori and Kimono would have been worn. The sleeves are made open under the arm providing a "pocket" for carrying a handkerchief. Men wore Haori over their kimono to protect them. Women later adapted the Haori and today it is worn for casual and informal occasions. Generally it is not worn indoors and is made to compliment and accessorize outfits.

Pattern Sizing: Size A includes XS, S, M, L and XL.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Sort of. I think mine looks wider than the pictured Haori.

Were the instructions easy to follow? They do look to be very detailed and complete. Because of my fabric I needed to alter the order of construction radically, eliminate the lining, and finish all seams appropriate for the sheer fabric.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I wanted something very simple with few seams because of the difficulty of dealing with my fabric. Also I wanted it to be loose fitting to wear over a cocktail dress I was planning to wear to a black tie wedding. This pattern was in my stash and seemed to fill the bill. I would have preferred to use a pattern designed for a sheer just to simplify things but this worked out okay.

Fabric Used: Silk organza with sequins, pearls and beads. Remind me never to buy this again!!! Thankfully the pattern was simple because the fabric was such a nightmare. Every bead or pearl that was any where near a seam had to be removed and secured. The sequins I could sew over. Of course the fabric also raveled. In an easy fabric this garment would have taken an hour to make. As it was it must have been 5 or 6.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: None. If I make this again I will use a more drapey
fabric so that it doesn't appear to be so wide.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I will use this pattern again as I like the traditional style. I have some celadon dupionni that I purchased with this fabric. I plan to sew a long skirt to wear with this jacket which I think will be a better balanced proportion than with the short skirt.

Conclusion Unfortunately it was so hot the day of the wedding that I never wore the jacket. I just put it on for a quick photo shoot.

Edit 10/9/06 I have fixed the links to these photos. It appears I will have to go through all my reviews and changed the links since Yahoo has changed the program overnight.

No comments: