Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Simplicity 4074 mock wrap dress, rayon jersey print


4/14/07 8:38 PM
Last Updated:4/14/07 8:41 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:I Highly recommend this pattern

Pattern Description: I used the popular Simplicity separates pattern for my summery dress. The pattern includes 2 tops, 2 dresses and a skirt. At a glance the dress looks like a wrap dress but it is not.

Pattern Sizing: Sixe 6 through 22 available. My envelope included 6 - 14. I cut the 10 at the top and 14 at the sides.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? I think so. Here is the back. It does fall straight. I think the way I'm standing makes the back seam askew.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Quite easy and complete. The only tricky part for a beginner is the collar/back neck in one with the front. This requires stitching, slashing and pivoting. Not hard but perhaps confusing to a novice.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the softness from the tucks at the shoulder. I like the mock wrap. Wrap dresses tend to cause me some trouble coming unwrapped.

Fabric Used: Rayon jersey from Lucy's Fabrics. Super comfortable to wear.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I lowered the bust and did a FBA as usual. I had planned to make the sleeves but decided as I progressed that it would be nice for summer as a sleeveless dress. I needed to take up the shoulders an inch, take in the under arm and the top part of the princess seam. All of this might not have been necessary if I had set the sleeve in but the rayon jersey has a tendency to stretch lengthwise. I found the weight of the fabric pulled the bodice down so that the underarms were too low, thus the alterations.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? This is a very nice pattern. I hope to make it again, perhaps a top next time.

Conclusion Watch out with jersey with 4 way stretch. Not so much a problem with tops but with a full length dress the fabric relaxes downward. The hem line was several inches longer when done than it was when I cut it out. Here's another view.

1 comment:

dawn said...

This is very flattering on you. Nice job!