Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Simplicity 4047 1950's Wardrobe, swing jacket

11/20/06 5:00 PM
Last Updated:11/20/06 7:40 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo: Simplicity Pattern Information

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:I Highly recommend this pattern

Pattern Description: This is a delightful collection of garments representing the style of the 1950's. Included are a swing jacket, blouse, sash, capri pants, and straight skirt. This review is for the jacket. I also made the blouse which I will review separately.

Pattern Sizing: The pattern comes with a large range of sizes in one envelope. I used the size H5 which includes sizes 6,8,10,12, and 14. It is available up to size 22.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes indeed.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very good instructions. The only part that might confuse an inexperienced seamstress is the right angle pivot at the collar which is cut in one with the front. Take care with the bias bottom pieces. It is very easy to stretch the bottom hem. This happened to me as I recklessly pressed without thinking about it. I was able to steam the shape back in but it would have been better to take care.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? This pattern includes so much I almost feel guilty that I paid only $1.00 for it. There are even separate pattern pieces for the lining of the jacket. Only dislike, I guess I prefer a jacket with pockets, especially if there is no closure on the front. But that is typical of a swing jacket.

Fabric Used: Silk tussah in gold and black with black silk lining. I chose this because I wanted to use a fabric with direction to play up the bias peplum. Here is the back.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I did my usual combining of sizes with 10 at the top, 14 at the sides and 6 for the sleeve length. I did not do my usual FBA because of the loose fit of the jacket. I added a button because I had this great one in my stash. I made a slot buttonhole in the seam between the jacket top and peplum.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I would definitely sew this again, maybe adding pockets in the side seam.

Conclusion Easy to sew, fun to wear, good for playing with stripes.

No comments: