Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Simplcity 4095 graffiti knit top


2/4/07 3:45 PM
Last Updated:2/4/07 4:45 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:Great wardrobe builder pattern

Pattern Description: A great collection of basics for your wardrobe. 2 top styles, pull-on pants and 6 panel skirt all for stretch knits. This review is for the wrap front top. Previously I reviewed the skirt.

Pattern Sizing: Size AA includes 10 - 18. It is also available in sizes 20W - 28W.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, exactly. Here's another view.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very simple. If you haven't done a set in sleeve or dealt with knits before you may want to refer to an additional reference. I used fusible bias at the hemline and still got a bit of stretching with this fabric. Next time I'll use a cover stitch.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the gathers at the shoulders, the fit, and the ease of construction. It is hard to see because of the print but the shoulder seam is forward about 1 1/2 inch. I like this detail to highlight the gathers.

Fabric Used: Subway Graffiti print triple mesh from EmmaOneSock.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: No alterations. I decided to go with a straight size 14 without doing my usual FBA using a smaller size. This worked out fine. The neckline may be a little bit loose caused either by using the larger size or stretching of the knit. I did not stabilize the knit at the neck. Next time I will use the same size but shorten the length of the neck band by about an inch. That should take care of the slight excess.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Definitely. I plan to sew it again several times. This was a test for sizing. I have made many similar tops but this is among my favorites. I like the neckline treatment and plan to try using something wispy or raw edged for a deconstructed look.

No comments: