|4/11/06 7:33 PM|
|Pattern Rating:||Easy to sew|
|I saw this pattern sewn up in a boiled wool at the Sewing Workshop booth at the expo in Puyallup I recently attended. I was quite smitten with their treatment using a special rotary cutter blade so I set out to buy myself one with the shaped edges. Of course the pinking blade only came with a different cutter than I own and with 3 other blades. I splurged and bought it, eager to come home a try it out. I knew I had this piece of boiled wool left over from my Soho Coat project just waiting for something like this.|
The Tribeca shirt or jacket is quite easy to sew. Very straightforward with no unusual tricky spots. I wanted to increase the opportunities for using the pinked edges so I altered the pattern in several ways. I changed the darts to princess seams front and back and overlapped the seams and the dart. Figuring out how to do this took a bit of time, especially because the darts from the waist are set way to the side. I transferred those darts toward the center so the seam could drop straight down as in a normal princess seam. The only seams I left as in the pattern were the seams to set in the sleeves. Once these changes were figured out it didn't take very long to construct the jacket.
I think this is a terrific pattern for this kind of treatment. Sewn up traditionally it is a nice style for an easy shirt or jacket with a bit of extra pizzaz. It fits well with my normal alterations.