Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Sewing Workshop Poppy Vest linen stripe

8/21/06 8:09 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:I would definitely sew this pattern again

Pattern Description: This Sewing Workshop pattern includes two vests. The Peony Vest is a loose fitting, lined, hip length top with asymmetric fronts, side slits and single button closure. The Poppy Vest, which is the one I made, is close fitting in the upper bodice, a-line and unlined with asymmetric hemlines. The front extends into the collar. The front and back are cut in one piece with a single button closure and bias bound armholes.

Pattern Sizing: XS - XXL I made size small with no alterations.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? yes, exactly

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very good instructions. This is an easy garment with just one pattern piece plus bias strips to bind the armholes. As always the Sewing Workshop provides excellent instructions especially on mitering corners which is about all you have to do on this vest.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? No fuss to sew and great to show off a stripe. I disliked that the armholes were too low to wear this as a top. Of course it is described as a vest, shown worn over a long sleeve top.

Fabric Used: Striped linen. I had purchased this fabric with another pattern in mind but when I realized the Poppy Vest is just one piece of fabric I decided it would be terrific with the stripe. As you can see the stripe falls horizontally at one side of the front, vertically on the other, and diagonally on the back. Love that. Anotherback view.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I had purchased 3 buttons to use down the front as I thought I would wear this as a top. However I didn't pay any attention to the size of the armholes and now that it is done, I feel they are too loose to wear without something underneath. This could easily by changed if one thought about it ahead of time. I decided to leave off the buttons altogether and use a pin to close or to wear it open.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? This is a quick, rewarding project if you like the unusual. Lots of style.

Conclusion Try it.
The skirt is Vogue 7640 which I have made twice before. It is also a great pattern for stripes. I reversed the pieces to make the hemline match the drop on the vest. This pattern includes a terrific jacket which I have made twice also. Here's the other version. I see that it is still available but listed as OOP on the Vogue website so get it while you ca

No comments: