Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Sewing Workshop 8th Avenue Skirt

2/22/06 4:52 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:I Highly recommend this pattern

I decided that my Hibiscus shirt would look best with a narrow skirt but I didn't want just the usual straight column. The 8th Avenue skirt is fitted and slightly flared with a bias side panel that drops lower and is curved. I thought this would provide the straight look I wanted but with a similar asymmetric, creative look as the top.

Pattern Sizing: The pattern comes in sizes XS through XXL in one envelope. My measurements are on the high side of the medium which is the size I made with no alterations except to shorten the length an inch. It is a tiny bit snug. Wearable but snug. Be careful if you are on the high side of the size range. It would be nice if they had each size instead of 2 sizes combined (12 & 14 together in the medium). That is a big range to fit everyone.. 2 & 1/2 inches bigger at the waist than the small.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes. I made the longer length which is just shown in the line drawing.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very easy and thorough instructions. The mitering might be a little confusing to someone who hasn't done it before but the instructions are carefully written. They even suggest you turn the miter to the right side before trimming to check accuracy. That way you can see if you figured it out correctly before moving on. The bias edges of the front and back are interfaced but one still needs to take care when topstitching as it tends to pull on the fabric and ripple. My wool steamed out pretty nicely but another fabric might be more fussy.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked the unusual style and the short amount of time to make this skirt. I've been having a series of long, drawn out projects that have not gone well so I needed a quickie.

Fabric Used: Gold/charcoal wool with a twill weave.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: Just shortened a bit. One thing I would do next time is a slight change at the waist band. The skirt has a very nice, narrow waist band using a bias cut piece. That goes on quite nicely. The problem is that the closure, at the top of the invisible zipper, is butted together and held with a hook and eye. I find that uncomfortable to have the hook and eye pressing against my waist. Next time I would lengthen the band an inch and overlap to put a snap.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? If you like asymmetry and slightly unusual clothing this is for you. Another view with the Sewing Workshop Hibiscus Top.

Conclusion A quick, rewarding project.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.