Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Decades of Style 1902 1919 Kimono Waist blouse


4/3/06 6:40 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:Decades of Style 1902
Decades of Style Pattern Information

Pattern Information provided by Ann Smith

Pattern Rating:I Highly recommend this pattern

Pattern Description: Decades of Style reproduces vintage patterns updating them a bit for modern sizing and fabrics. This is a wonderful top based on a "waist" or blouse pattern from 1919. It is a pull-over top with 2 different cuff options. The sleeves are kimono style, cut in one with the upper section of the top. The back has a slightly shaped hemline.

Pattern Sizing: The patterns are available in 4 size ranges, A B C & D ranging from 30 bust to 55 bust. I used size A cutting the largest size which is for 34 bust and 28 waist. I did a FBA and cut extra at the side seams just in case. I did not need to use that extra as there is plenty of ease in the design.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? I think so. I am very pleased with the results.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Easy to follow and thorough.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the styling for a top that is a little different. Nothing to dislike.

Fabric Used: A silk/rayon burnout velvet and a rayon jacquard. I found these 2 wonderful fabrics at an exciting visit to Textile Studios in Seattle. I have always loved the fabulous clothing from the early part of the 20th century. When I found these 2 pieces I hoped they would work together to create that vintage look.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I lengthened the top pieces to drop the seam across the front. As I am very low busted the seam needed to be lower to look right. It needs to go across below the bust. This added an inch to the length which I kept. The top is very short. I am short so anyone taller will want to be sure to watch the length when they cut out. I did forget to lengthen the center front piece so it is an inch shorter at the top than the pattern calls for. Actually, I like it this way. I also doubled the center front piece as my fabric is somewhat sheer.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I love this top and would enjoy sewing it again. I think it would look quite different in other fabrics. They suggest linen, rayon, crepe, silk or velvet for the lower blouse and sheers, laces, handkerchief linen or other light weight fabric for the sleeves and upper section.

Conclusion I discovered that I have a skirt already hanging in my closet that looks great for a dressy look. However I intend to wear this casually for the most part.

No comments: