Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Burda WOF 5/2006 Empire waist dress


6/13/06 2:12 AM
Last Updated:6/13/06 2:14 AM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Rating:Easy to sew

Pattern Description: "Trendy nostalgia was never so "hot". This summer, dresses with raised wiastlines are absolutely "en vogue! A self-fabric tie-string accentuates the empire seam while slightly puffed sleeves complete the romantic look". Don't you just love WOF descriptions? This is the dress version of the empire style in the 2006 May issue of Burda World of Fashion that JemGirlCa reviewed.

Pattern Sizing: Burda sizes 34 - 42 included. I chose size 40 with alterations. I think 38 may have been a better idea because the shoulders are wide on me.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Except for my "design" change. It was a little hard to get a good photo of this dress. Straight on it doesn't look as good as it does in person. I tried a more extreme side shot.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Quite good for WOF. I could have used a little more description of the loops since I put them on sideways. However if I had just looked at the picture better I wouldn't have made that mistake.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I wanted to try an empire style and this one looked quick. I liked the loops and spaghetti tube tie. I didn't like turning the loops and tie.

Fabric Used: A spongy, crinkly mystery fabric, probably polyester.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I intended to do the sleeves but when I got to that point and held them up while trying on the dress, I feared they would look dopey on me. Also I was tired of turning loops. So I used the bias strips I had cut for the sleeve ties to bind the armholes. I decided to leave the slightly extended shoulder edge.

I did a FBA and dropped the empire seam in the front about an inch for my lower bust line. I curved that seam up to meet the seam across the back. That seemed to work out ok. I did not shorten the skirt at all so, since I am only 5'3" and have that added inch to the top, the dress is longer on me than intended. I think I like it that way.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I recommend this and would make it again. I think it will be more likely that I will make the top.

Conclusion Nice, easy to wear dress for summer.

No comments: