Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Burda 8459 dress, Anna Sui print cotton/lycra

8/15/06 8:22 PM
Last Updated:8/15/06 8:24 PM
Pattern Size:Regular
Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:Burda 8459
Burda Pattern Information
Pattern Rating:I Highly recommend this pattern

Pattern Description: A Burda International pattern for a slightly flared dress with princess seams and a princess seam jacket with single button closure. I just made the dress.

Pattern Sizing:Sizes 8 through 18 included in the envelope.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes except I shortened the dress at least 5 inches.

Were the instructions easy to follow? This is a simple design and the instructions are complete and clear.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Love the simple yet striking shape and ease of construction. Disliked the faced neckline that put the bottom edge of the facing right across the full part of the bust. I had serged the bottom edge of the facing and it showed as a line across the bust. I removed the serging by pinking the edge and the line disappeared. I think the facing should have dropped further down to avoid this problem.

Fabric Used: Stretch cotton bright floral Anna Sui design from EmmaOneSock. This is another one of those fabrics that I thought way too loud for me before I sewed it up. Now I love it.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: Usually I cut do a FBA and drop the bust line an inch or two starting with a size 10 for the top and a 14 for the bottom. For some reason, and I can't remember why, I followed a different course (I suspect it was lazyness). I cut out a size 14 except for the shoulders where I cut size 18. This was to drop the bust line. I didn't do the FBA. I think I felt it would work because of the stretch in the fabric. That way I didn't have to alter all the panels. Miraculously it worked. The shoulders are a wee bit broad owing to the size 18 but still ok. I substituted an invisible zipper on the back because I had one on hand. It looks a little like it wrinkles on the back but that is only because of my peculiar stance.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Definitely I would make this again and highly recommend it.

Conclusion The jacket looks like a winner too.

No comments: